About this policy
Members Energy will do the right thing by its customers and we know privacy is important to you. To provide you with a service we need to collect, store and in some cases share personal information. This policy explains how we manage that in order to protect your privacy.
This policy relates to all activities of Members Energy Pty Ltd, ABN 72638175621 (Members Energy) including its website. References to “us”, “we” and “our” in this policy are references to Members Energy, its related bodies corporate and its contractors.
The Privacy Act 1988 (the Act) sets out the Australian Privacy Principles (the Principles) and we are committed to following them, as they are designed to protect confidentiality. Information that can be used to identify an individual (such as name, address and so on) is classified as personal information.
Why and how we collect personal information.
Members Energy will only collect personal information if it’s necessary for one or more of the services we provide to you.
Where possible, Members Energy will always collect personal information directly from you, either via a form you completed on our website, email, post, via a phone conversation with you (the phone conversation could be with Members Energy or a third party authorised to work on behalf of us) or via a community or commercial partner of Members Energy. There are also situations in which we may collect information from others, such as meter data from a distribution company or metering coordinator so we can calculate your usage, or information from your existing energy retailer so we can fulfil your request to transfer to us.
How we keep your information secure
We will store your information electronically wherever possible. Mostly this will be within our customer billing system. Where other information needs to be stored electronically, it will be held in password- protected storage areas and only staff who need access to personal information will be able to retrieve it. From time to time it may be necessary to transfer information outside of Australia in order to process it and provide our services to you. In addition, where you have had a Powerwall installed as part of South Australia’s Virtual Power Plant, information obtained from that Powerwall will be passed to and held by another entity (VPP Project 1 (SA) Pty Ltd) and/or transferred overseas to a subcontractor for processing.
Where information is passed overseas, it will also take place using secure transfer and storage methods. The countries it may be necessary to transfer personal data to include the United States of America.
All Members Energy staff are based in Australia, so where information is transferred outside the country it is purely for processing and never for an overseas employee or sub-contractor to use it to provide you with a service.
If it is necessary to store personal information physically, it will be held using reasonable security precautions at our offices.
Use of your information
To provide you with our services, we use your information in a number of ways, such as:
- setting up and maintaining your electricity supply with us;
- confirming your identity;
- emailing you with relevant information about your account with us, or about products and services we offer which may benefit you;
- communicating with you;
- carrying out credit checks, receiving payments and collecting debts;
- providing you with information on related products and services;
- external and internal reporting to regulatory bodies;
- assessing the performance of our business (at an aggregate, not individual customer, level).
Your personal information will not be disclosed outside Members Energy except as outlined in this policy. If you leave Members Energy, your information may be used to:
- collect any money you may owe on your account;
- ask you for your feedback on us;
- report, on an aggregate rather than individual basis, how our business is performing; or
- report to regulatory bodies as required.
Disclosure of your information
The only time we will disclose your personal information is when:
- we are required to by law or it is requested by Police or other Government authorities;
- your local distribution company, metering coordinator or metering provider requires information to maintain your supply or resolve a dispute;
- we carry out a credit check;
- we need to use a third party to collect overdue debt;
- you choose to move to a different energy retailer;
- we need to work with an ombudsman or other approved body to resolve a complaint or dispute;
- we need to add your information to other customers’ information so we can measure the overall performance of our business;
- we need to communicate with one of our community or commercial partners to tell them which customers have chosen to support them; or
- you tell us we can do
Your access to your personal information
You can ask us to share with you the information we hold about you. You can do this by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you think that we are holding inaccurate information, you can ask us to change or delete it. We can’t guarantee we’ll be able to meet every request to change or delete information and if we can’t, we’ll explain why.
If we’re sending you information about new products and services that you don’t want to receive, you can opt out of these communications at any time by emailing email@example.com.
Your payment details
We do not store credit card data. All credit card data is stored by our banking partner, Westpac. The transfer of bank account data (eg BSB and account number) always takes place using an encrypted Secure Socket Layer protocol.
Your own login details
When you set up a login for online access to your Members Energy account, it’s your responsibility to keep those details secure. Please logout after using the Members Energy website if others have access to the same computer or device.
Cookies and our website
To help improve our website and online experience, we use analytical tools to measure how the website is used.
If you start the process to join Members Energy but don’t finish it, we may use the information you entered up to that point to contact you by phone or email to see if we can help.
Changes to this policy
Members Energy may change this policy at any time and we’ll notify you of changes by posting a message on our website.
If you feel we have not complied with this policy, please contact us so we can investigate. You can contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at:
2/990 Whitehorse Road
Box Hill, Victoria 3128.